Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lent 2009

Daily Lent Prayer

"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Lord, may everything we do begin with your inspiration, continue with your help, and reach perfection under your guidance. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, you Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

The Journey Begins

There are so many lessons for our journey in this prayer.

It starts with God's inspiration.


We are reminded of the breath of life that God breathed at the beginning of creation

and the driving wind of the Holy Spirit's coming at Pentecost.


The grace for all we are about to do comes from God.


Today we pray to be open to it.


Today we also acknowledge that for us to what we need to do these six weeks,

we need God's continuing help.


Each day, with every prayer, every sacrifice, every act of generosity

we will need help which can only come from God.


And, finally, we need God's guidance to persevere to the end.


There will be tough choices, not only between good and evil,

but choices about what is the greater good.


We may even be called to do something quite heroic and self-sacrificing.


A wonderful prayer. Easy to remember, even memorize.


It is possible to say it every day.


Intercessions

God has revealed himself in Christ. Let us praise his goodness, and ask him from our hearts:
Remember us, Lord, for we are your children.

Teach us to enter more deeply into the mystery of the Church,
- that it may be more effective for ourselves and for the world as the sacrament of salvation.

Lover of mankind, inspire us to work for human progress,
- seeking to spread your kingdom in all we do.

May our hearts thirst for Christ,
- the fountain of living water.

Forgive us our sins,
- and direct our steps into the ways of justice and sincerity.


Closing Prayer

Lord, Let everything I do this day and in this season of Lent
come from you, be inspired by you.

I long to be closer to you.

Help me to remember that nothing is important in my life
unless it glorifies you in some way.

It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day of my life and keep saying,
"Tomorrow, I will spend more time in prayer,"
but now my longing meets your love and I want to do it now.

Help me to rely on you for help.

The prayer asks you that I reach perfection.
Please, Lord, remind me that "perfection"
isn't the crazy, "successful" way I try to live my life,
but a perfection of my most authentic, real self.

My "perfection" might be holding my many flaws in my open hands,
asking you to help me accept them.

Heal me, Lord, and help me to find you in the darkness of my life.

Let me reach out in this darkness and feel your hand and love there to guide me.