Thursday, December 29, 2011

Modern nativity scene at Leicester Cathedral crib

The traditional nativity scene inside Leicester Cathedral has been replaced with a modern alternative.

The new scene has Mary as a teenage mum, from Beaumont Leys, Joseph as her “white van man” boyfriend, Jesus as the teenager’s child and the three kings as a banker, minor celebrity and an oil industry worker.

Canon David Monteith masterminded the plan to give the festive display a modern twist with particular relevance to Leicester.

He said: “The Church of England has launched a national advertising campaign and part of that is to update this familiar story. So, I came up with the idea of choosing modern-day characters and one with a connection with Leicester.”

Instead of a stable backdrop, the cathedral commissioned John NIxon, of Leicester Society of Artists, to paint a tableau of local landmarks.

Canon Monteith said: “In the painting are many Leicester landmarks including Curve, Clock Tower, town hall, the new Hindu temple, in Gipsy Lane, and a mosque in Highfields. We want this to be an inclusive scene.”

He said the idea had been agreed upon by cathedral clergy including the Dean, the Very Rev Vivienne Faull, and Bishop of Leicester the Right Rev Tim Stevens.

Canon Monteith said: “The three shepherds are represented by people who care, the three kings are represented by members of our society who have wealth.”

But the novel nativity has divided opinion.

Mary Danks, 67, of Market Harborough, said: “I think it is really interesting. I particularly like the three kings representing the people with the wealth these days.”

Her husband, Philip, 69, said: “It is a good idea to try to bring the thing up to date, but I prefer the traditional scene.”

Florence Holyland, 75, of Eyres Monsell, said: “At first glance, I thought it was tribute to the carers of Leicester.

“It was not until someone told me what it was that I realised it was the nativity and I have to say I don’t like it.”

Her husband, Gerald Holyland, 80, said: “It looks totally out of place. It should be in a shopping centre, not a cathedral.”

Sam Waller, 22, of Leicester city centre who did not see the scene but heard about it, said: “It sounds like a good thing to me.

“I think it is a brave move to try to make the church more relevant in 2011.”

Tom Reid, 24, of Leicester city centre, said: “I agree it is a good thing but I would much prefer a traditional nativity scene.”

The Very Rev Vivienne Faull said: “This crib reminds me that we are celebrating the birth of Christ not just 2,000 years ago but today.”

At the Cathedral’s Crib Service the Bishop of Leicester blessed the crib.