Tuesday, April 17, 2012

'I love being a priest but I hope celibacy rule will be lifted'

FR Paddy Byrne, at 38, is the youngest priest in his diocese.

It is a title he has held, much to his disappointment, for the past 11 years.

He would like to be able to marry and is a supporter of women entering the priesthood and, therefore, finds himself at odds with the leadership of the Catholic Church.

He said he hoped the hierarchy would consider the results of the survey by the Association of Catholic Priests, although he was not holding his breath.

"I'm not naive to think the celibacy rule is going to be lifted immediately. . . but I hope they will listen," he told the Irish Independent.

A priest in the parish of Bagenalstown, Co Carlow, he was studying business and economics in Trinity College Dublin when he decided to radically change his life.

"I'm a twin and the youngest in my family. I liked what the priesthood stood for -- which in my head was helping people. Making that step and walking into the seminary, I found it to be a very challenging one," he said.

The whole time Fr Byrne has been a priest, the church has been in the midst of scandal.

"But I love being a priest and I can say that with a sense of enthusiasm and fulfilment."

However, Fr Byrne said at times the church hierarchy had tried to censor debate, as seen in the case of Fr Tony Flannery, the Redemptorist priest who was silenced by the Vatican.

"I think there are two churches in Ireland, the local one which is quite vibrant. I see another type of church somewhere out there that is removed from reality and has caused a lot of pain," said Fr Byrne.

Despite this, he remains hopeful for the future of the church in Ireland.